1) How long have you been doing CrossFit? What got you started?
I have been doing CrossFit for 1 year now. I had tried boxing and personal training beforestarting CrossFit but I could never commit to anything and always got weird looks when I tried new things. One my personal trainers recommended I try CrossFit. He suggested I get in touch with Zach Mack and the rest was history.
2) What aspect of our core values of authentic, driven, and inclusive do you relate to the most?Why?
Inclusive! CrossFit can be intimidating when you first start out. I personally am not the biggest guy by any stretch of the imagination. When I first walked in the gym, I was cheered on by everyone whether I was lifting an empty bar or going for a max rep deadlift. At our gym we have a pretty big community of adaptive athletes. Working out with them each week is one of my favourite things. I love that everyone’s achievements at our gym are celebrated regardless of your background or level of fitness. Believe me we have a very diverse group.
3) What do you most look forward to when you come to the gym?
That feeling you get when you finish a really tough workout. There’s been a few times whereI’ve looked at a workout and immediately thought “This is going to suck” or “I probably won’t be able to lift that weight”. There’s no better feeling when you ignore that inner self doubt and just crush a really tough workout.
4) What is your favourite memory at All Level CrossFit?
This year’s open. During the open the atmosphere at the gym changes. You can see the excitement on everyone’s face. Seeing how hard everyone works throughout the year it’s really fun to watch their improvement and see all that hard work pay off.
5) What goals have you set for yourself in CrossFit that you’ve successfully achieved? What are your current goals?
Some goals I’ve achieved this year are:- Learning kipping pull-ups- Learning handstand push-ups- Squat 1.25 x body weight- Deadlift 1.5 x body weightSome goals I want to achieve are:- String together double-unders- Bench body weight- Deadlift 2 x body weight- String together Toes to Bar- Strict press body weight
6) What advice do you have for someone who’s on the fence about starting CrossFit?
Join, come as often as you can, ignore the self-doubt and do your best not to compare yourself to others. One thing CrossFit has taught me is that fitness is different for everyone.Everyone has different goals and strengths. The only way to work on them is to come and put your nose to the grindstone.
7) How has your experience at All Level CrossFit improved your life outside of the gym? My experience at All Level CrossFit has helped with my mental health tremendously. I’ve become noticeably more confident. I’ve become more social and am interacting with a lot more people who are like minded. I have been able to focus on nutrition a lot more. I suffer from a couple mental illnesses and since joining All Level I have improved in pretty much every area regarding that.