- What got you started in CrossFit? How did you hear about it? I’d heard of CrossFit before but never had the desire to research it. I was under the impression that CrossFit was just terrible for the body (which couldn’t be farther from the truth). Last December, I ran into an All Level athlete at a Christmas party. She knew I was on some sort of fitness journey of my own and offered me a Golden Ticket. After my first WOD, I’d decided that I’d never go again, until John Mack yelled out “Alright Steph, see ya tomorrow!” as I was leaving the gym. I then booked another class, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
2. What is your favourite part about coming to the gym? It’s impossible to pick my single favourite thing about coming to the gym— it’s a tossup between: a) seeing all my buddies (which is every member of the gym) b) constantly being able to compete with myself and other people c) Zach’s Banana Boosters
3. What is your favourite CrossFit movement? Least favourite? Whenever I see chest-to-bars programmed in a WOD, I cringe a little bit because I struggle so much with them, but that gives me a strong reason to do them more frequently! On the other hand, whenever I see the assault bike in a workout, I know I can usually cover a bit of ground for all those long breaks I take to grab more chalk that I never really need.
4. What are your goals in CrossFit? My goal in CrossFit, every day, is to get a little stronger and a little faster than the previous day. I want to be able to do every movement and become more proficient in performing each movement. (And to kick all my friends’ butts).
6. What advice do you have for someone who is thinking of trying CrossFit? Take. That. Risk. Make the call. Send the message. Make the appointment. That’s the HARDEST part about starting anything. If you have the desire to try something new— whether it be CrossFit, or travelling, or studying something different— take the jump.
7. What does CrossFit mean to you? CrossFit, for me, is so much more than just functional fitness. This sport and this community have ignited a spark in me that transcends far beyond the boundaries of fitness. CrossFit has helped me realize how strong I am; Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.
8. How has CrossFit helped you improve your life outside of the gym? Crossfit’s completely changed the way that I think and take on challenges in my life. When your hands are torn, your legs are throbbing, or you can hardly breathe, it becomes so easy to justify giving up. CrossFit teaches us, that when you have a goal, that you need to determine how badly you want to achieve it, and to always give it your all— no matter how challenging the obstacles are that lie ahead. We face countless challenges every day, and the way we perceive those challenges determines whether the outcome will be positive or negative. Creating a positive mindset, leads to a positive outcome!